Simple Turkey Baste
- Per 2lb. turkey= (2 turkey legs) / Per 20lbs.= (whole turkey)
- Mandarin: ½ / per 20lbs.= Mandarins: 5
- Garlic: 2 segments / per 20lbs.= Garlic: 2-3 cloves
- Jalapeno peppers: ½ / per 20lbs.= Jalapeno peppers: 5
- Granny Smith apple: ½ / per 20lbs.= Granny Smith apple: 5
- Olive oil: 2.5fl.oz. / per 20lbs.= Olive oil: 10fl.oz.
- Apple cider vinegar: 5fl.oz. / per 20lbs.= A.C.V.= 20fl.oz.
- Long grain brown rice: ½lb per lb. of turkey
- **Note** Omit mandarin oranges in case of acid sensitivity
- Pour apple cider vinegar and oil in a mason jar or measuring cup.
- Wash mandarin in cold water, then pat dry.
- Cut the mandarin in half, squeeze the juice from one half into jar.
- Remove the fruit from one half.
- Lay the peel down with the inside of hull facing the cutting board.
- To remove the zest, angle a knife at a slant, and lightly scrape the surface of the peel. Scrape the knife in one direction. Use ¼ of the mandarin for zest.
- Gather the scrapings and add to mixture.
- Next remove 2 segments from a clove of garlic and clean, (remove the paper thin layer).
- To mince, first score the garlic by making cuts vertically in a chopping motion, cut horizontally, then mince or chop.
- Repeat with the second segment and pour the minced garlic into the jar.
- Quarter one jalapeno pepper lengthwise.
- Then score and mince one half of the pepper and add to mixture.
- Do the same with one Granny Smith apple.
- Place turkey in aluminum foil.
- For large, whole turkey, place in a deep cooking pan.
- Brush or pour mixture over entire turkey.
- Pour the remaining contents into foil or pan.
- Seal the foil by bringing up the edges.
- For large whole turkey, wrap aluminum foil from upper edge of pan over the top and fold down closed.
- Bake in pre-heated oven 30-45 minutes.
If you have not experienced trying different brands, I recommend an organic variety. This is simply due to the fact that however you embellish it, you will not disguise the texture and level of freshness of the turkey. For optimal freshness, look at the date on the package and take notice of the color when possible.
This recipe is an easy, light combination of ingredients that will lift your spirits and is interchangeable with other poultry, such as goose or duck. You can adjust the consistency of each ingredient to your taste. In addition, it is always helpful to taste-test as you go.
Turkey Baste Ingredients
- Mandarins These little babies, beloved by kids for their
compact size, are a seedless, low acidity variety of citrus fruit. Each mandarin packs a sweet, juicy punch. Nutritionally, they are rich in vitamin A, and Potassium which makes them a suitable choice for snacking. One 3 lb. bag, (pictured), has about 10-12 mandarins.
- Granny Smith apples are an appropriate apple variety for cooking and baking alike. They contain a moderate level of sweetness, which becomes more concentrated when cooked, though doesn’t become to heavy or syrupy. Adding this type of apple is an easy way to include a balanced sweetness to a recipe.
- Garlic is an antibacterial powerhouse. An excellent condiment for combatting the flu-season.
- Jalapeno peppers add heat and flavor to a recipe and are a good source of vitamin C.
- Apple Cider Vinegar is preferable to white vinegar for its natural enzymes, minerals, and it’s effect on neutralizing stomach acids. Utilized in this recipe to distribute the other ingredients.
- Olive oil has a nice mellow flavor cooks food slowly. Coconut oil can be substituted for olive oil if preferred.
- Long grain brown rice is a tasty, filling, and nutritious accompaniment to this recipe.